Monday, April 28, 2014

Stacey McGill 4EVA

You guys, Mia will be 9 next week and my frail mama's heart can barely take it...

At 9 years old, my third grader goes to the same elementary school that I attended.  
At 9 years old, her third grade classroom is in the same classroom that I had.
At 9 years old, my third grader lives to read just as I did as a girl.
And, at 9 years old, my third grader still hasn't read any of The Baby-Sitters Club books.

As I said, my heart can barely take it! Growing up, I was obsessed with the BSC books! Each week on library day, there would be a hurried walk (no running in the library!) to the shelves holding the holy grail of Ann M. Martin books, and every week there would be a quick discussion between myself and Cathe Poisal (Hi Cathe!!!) as to which of us would be checking out which book for the week. There might be a deal made, a swap, or even a little spat over the books but it was all done out of pure love for the BSC. 

My friend Kimmie Instagrammed this pic a few days ago with the caption
"Be still my 3rd grade self. Bonner Springs Goodwill had all of these
Baby Sitters Club books. I was tempted to buy them all. #childhoodmemories"
If the title to this post is any clue, Stacey McGill was my favorite babysitter. Stacey, who was utterly cool obviously, was described as one of the best dressers (besides Claudia) and had beautiful penmanship (complete with hearts over her i). Oh Lord, did I want to be Stacey McGill!  She was from New York, friends! NEW. YORK. To a little girl in the Midwest, she was the epitome of sophistication!

Honestly though, as badly as I wanted to be Stacey, I knew in my heart that I was Mary Anne back then. Shy Mary Anne who just wanted to be nice and not upset anyone. Two years later, and I finally came out of my shell, but I was still no Stacey McGill...

Mia is a cross between Kristy, Claudia, and Mallory: determined, creative, and all around brainy and I wouldn't have her any other way. She's currently in the middle of the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series, and insanely excited to plan her birthday sleepover.

Until then, we're watching the entire first season on Netflix. Yesssssssss!!!!!!!

Look at Stacey in that sweet beret! I'm a grown woman and
I couldn't pull that look off without looking completely ridiculous.
SHE'S IN 7TH GRADE AND SHE'S COOLER THAN ME! Ugh!

Oh, and by the way, Netflix is letting me give away a free 3 month subscription to one lucky HHDD reader! All you have to do is leave a comment, and the winner will be announced May 1, 2014!

(PS: I may be 30, but there's still hope for me to be as effortlessly chic as Stacey, isn't there? Say yes or we can't be friends anymore! Also, I realize that's a totally Kristy thing to say. So bossy, right?!)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Look at you, leaving a comment on the ole blog! Awww!