Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Houdini. I Sing It Way Better.

Once upon a time in '94...

I've had that little snippet stuck in my head for the last week. Just that part. I have no idea why, but it's been there.

(And for those of you who don't immediately recognize those classic lyrics... ahem, MOM - it's this song. You're welcome.)

Fun fact: I'm a music nerd. Not a music nerd like my husband who actually played the French horn during one unfortunate period of his childhood - but more of a "I'll take music 'Famous Songs' for $100, Alex" music nerd.

Give me your lyrics, your sweet instrumentals, and as much trivia about the artist/album/song as you can muster. I'm pretty much guaranteed to memorize it all because I'm like an idiot savant with no real musical talent to speak of. 

Those who can't, right?

A few music-themed tidbits from my day, if you will...


On the way to work this morning. It needed to be said, so I said it. Apparently I'd already told Jimmy this... several times.

"Phil! What's your favorite Prince song? And don't say something gay!"
"I Would Die 4 U"
"Didn't I just say 'don't say something gay'?!"

That was the first thing I said as I walked in to work this morning. For the record, I love Prince. He's a genius and one of the best guitarists of all time. If you disagree, I'm willing to fist fight you to uphold his honor. And really, it was a trick question because there's no such thing as a gay Prince song.

"I can't even understand what they're saying, but I love them."
"Dert der der dah dun dun dun..."
"Is he saying 'shackles on my legs are tied?'"
"Jimmy, I'm pretty sure he's saying 'shackles on my wiener something something'. I'd bet money on it."
"I think you're wrong."
"Good thing we're not betting then."

So I Googled the lyrics and *maybe* I was wrong, but I'm going to sing my verse anyway. It's pretty good. Foster the People, why are you so hard to understand? 

"I seriously thought I was going to have to ground Marlee last night when she started saying she liked Tate Stevens."
"He DOES have a water tower... Man, Laura gets fired up about that too."
"Yeah, they better not change that 'Touch of heaven on Highway 7' sign though."
"Agreed."

Look, nothing against Tate Stevens. He's just not from GCMO. Mayor Henry, let's get Farr a water tower soon. I bet I even know some guys who'll paint it for free - no need for a huge community wide fundraiser.

"Last week, I saw a video from the 60s where they were singing this song live. Man, Mick's all pumping his hand and prancing around like he's in a marching band. It's so bad ass."

This was at The Walmarts. Of course I acted it out. Jimmy just laughed at me though because I've got nothing on Mick Jagger's moves.

What does all of this mean to you guys? Nothing probably. 

I have a burnt cheeseburger waiting for me to eat it (Thank you, my sweet husband), but I want to leave you with one more song link. You know you want to click on it.... CLICK IT! CLICK IT NOW!

No, it's not a virus. It is a link to Kmart's new commercial for back to school, featuring Da Rich Kidz. My kiddos are obsessed with it, and I promise that it'll be stuck in your head for the next week. 

Don't thank me, thank Kmart.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Look at you, leaving a comment on the ole blog! Awww!